Saturday 16 April 2011

Unexpected Joy.

Five years ago, on the 7th of July, I opened the front door and nearly got a heart attack when I stepped out of the house and heard a bark next to me. A stray puppy had decided to make the corner of our front stoop his new resting place.

Two years earlier our 2 dogs (which we had in the family for over 15 years) died one after the other and we were ready to get a new dog but had not found anything yet.

As soon as we tried to get near the black puppy he would react strangely and we immediately saw that this puppy had been mistreated. His front paw also seemed out of joint.

We lead him, using the temptation of food, to our backyard. We gave him food and water but he was terrified of everyone but allowed me to touch him.

We asked neighbours if they knew if the dog had a home. Most of them did not even notice the lost puppy never mind know who he belong to.

After eating a hefty meal he started to chew at the gate. We opened the gate to set him free and he left. I was a little disappointed because he seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. I did not want a small dog in the house again nor a huge unmanageable beast of a dog either. We were looking for a playful medium size dog that did not need much grooming.

Three days later we got out of bed extremely early to do some chores. It was very cold and I had to go outside to do something. It was only about 7am and when I came outside the black puppy was sitting against one of the doors leading to the house. When he saw me his whole body started to shake partly from the cold and partly the excitement of seeing me again.

We opened the gate and he ran into the backyard on his own and there he has remained for five years. At first there were days they I did wonder if he was the right pup for us. He was extremely boisterous and the only naughty thing he ever did was dig up our seedlings.

He never interfered with laundry on the line. I was able to teach him to be extremely obedient. He is so playful and loves to catch the ball when I toss it for him.

One day I sat outside and he pressed against my leg. I gave him a firm hug and heard a cracking sound in his spine. I was shocked and after that his paw seemed to be straighter and the little bump he had on his spine disappeared altogether.

No-one can enter the property because he attacks everyone and bites them. I have to lock him away when maintenance has to be done. I like him that way – it makes us feel safe and protected. He loves me so and we have a close bond and I am so thankful for the unexpected little joy that came into our lives five years ago.

                  Here he is eagerly waiting for me to toss the ball so that he can run and catch it in mid air look at the playful excitement in those brown eyes.


2 comments:

  1. After you commented on my blogi came to check yours out and I really like it so now I am following! Your dog is so sweet! I have four of my own! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a tremendously household with all the children, grandchildren, dogs and hobbies. Thanks for the visit and becoming a follower. Enjoy your week too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. G.B.