Sunday 27 March 2011

How to draw a Five point star.

As a child the one thing I could not do was draw.  One of the things I really wanted to be able to draw was a perfect 5 point star and I can’t believe how easy it actually is.
The thing to know about how to draw a 5 point star is that it fits in a circle and each point of the circle is the circumference. Circumference is a math word for the distance around the outside of a circle.

So if we divide 60 by 5, we get 12. Each point of the star will be 12 seconds after the previous one. Mark a dot at the 60 and then move to 12 seconds and mark another dot. To find the 12, you can divide the 5 minute section with short marks to help you find it. Move around the circle and mark 24 seconds, 36 seconds and 48 seconds.
TIP - the 12 and 48 should line up horizontally as should the 24 and 36.


Connect the dots you marked to draw a five point star. Keep working your sketch lines until the star shape looks right.  Depending on your accuracy in the earlier steps, you may have more or less adjusting to do.

You could use a ruler for this part as well.

Use a pen or marker to ink the outline of your star.
Depending on the size of your star and your level of desire for perfection, a ruler may be just the thing to make these lines straight
Erase your pencil lines to free your finished 5-point star. Paint your star with crayon, marker, tempura, acrylic, or whatever paint you have handy.









3 comments:

  1. Well, I certainly would never have thought it was this easy. I had every ruler I own out on the table, trying to figure out the degree for each point. I went so far as to do several searches on the internet, until I came to yours. I am trying to do a 5 point star quilt, and needed a pattern. Thank you so much for the instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SOOOOO much. I, also, am making a quilt and was so baffled as to an easy solution for the perfect 5-point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simple-mindedly could not figure out my 60-minute points, so I searched online for an analog clock printout (no matter what size, so long as you can cut it out and tape to the middle of a measured circle), then pasted it down and extended the 12-24-36-48-60 lines past the circle size of choice FROM THE CENTER of the circle. Any simple analog clock will work. I suggest just a plain and simple black/white, but make sure all the minute hands are there. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. G.B.