Monday 2 May 2011

Getting a few things done.

Anyone who has read my previous posts will know that I have been looking for a strong vacuum cleaner. I have vowed not to get another Electrolux.  So I came across the Nilfisk Aero Wap it was R1100.00 and I came home all eager to plug it in and give it a go. Then suddenly while I was unpacking it, the voice of reason crept up and tapped me on the shoulder and said “Psst what if you can’t get filter bags for it?”
 
In the two weeks that followed, I contacted two different electrical suppliers, both assured me that they had reps who supplied Nilfisk accessories and after several trips to show them the sample bag I still did not have the correct bag. I had bought the vacuum cleaner on the 11 April and I was getting panicky because the place I bought it from has a 7 day return cut off and it was already 26 April. I headed off to the place and was very adamant and a bit cocky. I made it clear that I could not keep a vacuum cleaner to which I could not find bags.
Luckily they did not object and gave me a full refund. I had been so concerned about what if I had already used the vacuum cleaner then perhaps I would not be able to return it. While I was waiting for my cash a mother and daughter arrived with an obviously used and stained carpet shampooer. I had to give a smile to myself and thanked my voice of reason for sparing me that embarrassment.

~~~~~~ *** ~~~~~~

My dear old mom used to be quite strong for a woman but you know age can be unkind. In the past 5 years we have noticed a change in her as she has weakened slightly in strength.  Last week I heard her close the door which is between the house and the garage and although I was on the other end of the house I could hear a few swear words coming from her. I rushed to her, quite concerned, when I enquired what had upset her she showed me the handle ...
It had snapped off and I thought it quite amusing that this little old lady still had the strength to be destructive.
I went to my local Mica hardware store and they only had the full lockset which costs and arm and a leg. I spoke to the manager who offered to get the handle set from one of the other branches. As I left the Mica I thought yeah, he will be like all the other yes men salesmen that have wasted my time lately when they promise to do something and then don’t.
I was pleasantly surprise when I returned as arranged and the handles were ready for me to collect. Wow! Someone who kept their word, I still can’t believe it. The handles were R50 and I headed home.
I have never attempted replacing a handle before and I am sure that there are many people out there who will think what the big deal is? I removed the old handles inserted the square rod that goes in and links the two handles and it was an easy job except I had not seen it done before so I had to just hope I was doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. G.B.